These big, thick & fluffy Lemon Blueberry Pancakes, restaurant style, are easier than you think to make at home!
This is an amazingly versatile recipe! They are loaded with delicious blueberries and topped with a little tangy Mexican crema. A generous drizzle of maple syrup is just the perfect balance and if you prefer to use strawberries or cherries instead of blueberries, go for it!
COOKING PANCAKES IN A CAST-IRON SKILLET
These are not your ordinary stack of pancakes. First, you cook the Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes in a cast-iron skillet to give them a nice crispy layer.
Then you transfer the skillet into the oven to finish cooking and to give the last touch of fluffiness. They come out amazing every time!
LEMON BLUEBERRY PANCAKES WITH QUINOA
- ¼ cup quinoa rinse
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar or 2 packets of natural sweetener divide
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted light butter for cooking
- 1 cup blueberries plus more for topping
- ¼ cup Mexican crema or plain non fat Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Granola & maple syrup for serving
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil quinoa, cinnamon and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Let cool; discard the cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk quinoa, the buttermilk, milk and eggs.
- Add the wet mix to dry ingredients and stir until batter forms.
- Heat ½ tablespoon butter in a 8′ cast-iron skillet over medium heat; cook ½ cup better until bubbles appear at edges of pancake, about 4 minutes. Add ¼ cup blueberries and flip; cook 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven; and bake until pancake is crisp on the outside, 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining butter, butter and blueberries.
- While the pancake is cooking, whisk the Mexican crema with 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon zest and juice in a bowl.
- Top pancakes with lemon crema, more blueberries, some granola and a drizzle of maple syrup.
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.